Wednesday, June 18, 2014

THIS WEEK I'VE GOT . . .

N O T H I N G
 
 
I don't know about you guys but there are some days, weeks, months that I feel like I will never take another good picture - EVER! That I have used up all of my creative juice. Sometimes the slumps end quickly, sometimes they go on for weeks. With 4 kids ranging from 16 - 5 and involved in many activities, I get wrapped up in getting them taken care of and neglect my creativity at times. I wish I could say that I always stop and enjoy the moments (because they will be gone before you know it), but it isn't always the case.
 
 
What do you do to get out of the ever-dreaded creative slump?
 
 
For me it's not always the same answer. A few different go-to things I try to get me out of the slump are new lighting techniques -
 


Or a new editing technique -

Or I buy a new set of actions that I've had my eye on for awhile -

Sometimes it takes getting away from it all and remembering the beauty that surrounds us, and taking pictures that I've wanted to take.

Many times I try to remind myself that the slump is telling me that it's time to grow a little more as an artist, or it's time to refocus, decide what's important and if I need to keep going in the same direction in my life.

I would love to hear what you guys to if you ever have this problem!

4 comments:

  1. I refer to this as my ebbs and flows ;) I also try what you do, then sometimes I do nothing and just rest, wondering why I expect myself to always be on my game! We all need periods of rest, why not from creating? I sometimes take that time to try something completely different for fun. A drawing class, jewelry making, something very different from photography so that I might come back with a fresh perspective. You are not alone, I feel your pain ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I've never thought of it that way. Sometimes you do need to give yourself a break :) I love the idea of trying something completely different. Thanks for the wonderful insight!

      Delete
  2. Living in Alaska I find I am outdoors more enjoying what nature has to offer. I neglect my camera during this time. You would think I would bring it out more but I really do not. I really need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way at times. Sometimes my camera becomes a burden - especially when I have had a lot of sessions in a row. I don't want to look at another RAW file or do anything in photoshop. I can't even take a picture with my phone sometimes! Sad huh :) Plus it's usually my memories that I neglect because I'm too busy working on other people's memories.

      Delete