Tuesday, May 27, 2014

col·lab·o·rate


My friend Debbie and I have a thing for wooden bowls. I don’t know when her love affair started but maybe she’ll comment and let us know how it started.

As for myself, it started when I bought one at a flea market from a vendor that stocked items from old world Europe. They sold weathered goat carts, hefty kitchen cabinetry, and textured bowls among several other wooden pieces.

The bowl pictured above (R) was made to hold rising bread dough, but it has held many different things at my house: Legos to mail, potatoes to car keys, and ripening fruit to Christmas cards. 

Debbie and I regularly swoon over each other’s bowl pics. Then last month she asked if I wanted to do some bowl dips (diptychs) together. So glad she thought of it and asked me! The only rule for our collaboration is that we must photograph something in our bowl. 

It’s so enjoyable teaming up with someone to keep you photographically on your toes.  Whether you have the same style or not, it doesn’t matter because they always turn out wonderful. 


And then at other times, it’s fun just to combine your own to photos. Do they have to relate...no! Does anyone have to understand why you decided to put those particular two together…not at all!  We used to have a group on Flickr called Two for Tuesday (thanks again to Debbie)…you should see some of the things I used to put together!


What I'm getting at here is thinking out of the box, either on your own or sharing a box to think out of with a friend. This is one of my favorite verses: 

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. –Proverbs 27:17

It's so true, isn't it? Let's sharpen and inspire one another this week, ask a friend, old or new, to dip with you. Have theme or not, you could pick the same hour of day to shoot, or combine a couple of your own shots. It's challenging sometimes to post on Instagram because of the size but maybe that's part of the box to break out of too...what if you only showed part of each pic to fit the square? It'll all work out because we are creative and love photography. Looking forward to your combos!

Ok, so, who wants to dip? ;)


2 comments:

  1. love this!! I've always had a thing for antiques and when I saw this bowl and 75% off. we were made for each other. I love Claudia and couldn't think of a better person to dip with. right now it's our bowls. but who knows. maybe after that we will go to our antique cameras and on and on. doing dips alone or with a friend is a great way to connect but also to stretch your creativity. so find a friend and take a dip!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie, love this, yes, yes, yes, love the antique camera idea too. you are just brimming with them, just please don't ask me to write, eek, that's why i'm a photographer, lol! Love you too sweets, thanks for dropping in :)

    ReplyDelete