Monday, May 5, 2014

Creative or Technical?


I believe there are two types of photographers.  CREATIVE and TECHNICAL.

Creative shooters get a wonderful shot and others ask, "how did you do that?"  They answer by saying, "it looked good through my lens, so I clicked."

Technical shooters get a wonderful shot and others ask. "how did you do that?" They answer by listing all the ISO, white balance, lens talk, and other similar answers.  They can repeat that same shot with different settings at will.  I am always a little jealous of technical shooters.

I am a creative shooter.  I remember starting photography with my very first DSLR and asked someone on Flickr how to improve.

He said....

1. Read the cameras manual.  UGH!

2. Buy a simple 50mm 1.8 lens because it will allow you to shoot in various degrees of light more easily.

3.  Look around at other photographers and develop a top 10 favorite photographers.  It will help you see what you like for the next step.

4.  Set some photography goals.

5. This is not like riding a bike.  You do not always remember these things you have to practice all the time.  If you put it down for a year there will be a lot to re-learn.  Make photography a part of your life.

6. Never leave home without a camera.

So I did the "list"...

1. I read my manual so often it was bowed and worn out. It really helped.  Also, following some blogs will help. One of my new favorite blogs is click it up a notch.  It is a photography blog with all types of photography tips and information. Some basic and some more in depth.  For the most part she makes it appear to all be simple.  I love when people can do that. 

2. The 50mm was life changing.  I now own the 50mm 1.2. It allowed me to finally achieve shots with bokeh and DOF that I had always dreamed of.

3. My list has far exceeded 10 favorite photographers to date and each one has inspired and helped me achieve my photography goals without even knowing it.

I remember when I first started reading an blog post from Tara Whitney about thoughts on technical photography terms and she said," Don't ask.  I am not always sure how I do this I just know it happens."  She said her favorite lens was the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L because it allowed her to shoot in many different spaces and degrees of light.  She also said she always tried to connect with her subject by briefly getting to know each person she was shooting and that allowed her, she believed, to get the great shots.  To this day I still love her photography. 

4. Setting photography goals is a constant process in my life now.  THE BEST ADVICE EVER.  I try to always have a 52 weeks or 365 project in the works, ALWAYS.  It really helps you improve, even if you are just using an iPhone.

5. It is not like riding a bike.  I worked full time for three years and hardly picked up my camera.  My skills suffered.  I am still trying to get some of that back.  I should have listened to that advice.  I won't forget it now.

To this day I am more of a creative shooter and have to work hard on the technical aspect.  For me, if I am shooting and love the shots it really does not matter what my settings were.  I just enjoy seeing the world through my lens. 

So are you technical or creative?

I think the key is to have a little bit of both.  This week I am focusing and seeing the world through my lens but adding a little technique to do so.  Join me.


2 comments:

  1. I love this! I understand the technical aspect but also am a creative shooter. I think I am both :) I neeeeed to follow the advice to take my camera everywhere. I am in a slump right now and just can't seem to pull out of it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that having my iPhone has helped me let go of some of the "technical" because, well, it's just not a dslr ;) and there's nothing I can do about that but just snap the shot. I am working on releasing the creative within me by being more intuitive rather than calculating. I think you are right Leaca, some sort of project, even if it's unofficial, a 52, blur, or certain style...something to keep your eye sharp is helpful/motivating and keeps you "looking" to fine tune and practice. Great post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete