Friday, March 7, 2014

Taking a good look at me | Earth & Skye Photography | Marina Spooner

- Earth & Skye Photography | Marina Spooner

Recently, I was asked to take a photo that defined me.  Usually, when presented with this sort of task, I shy away.  Why do I do that?  There are so many people/photographers/writers/creative folk that have no problem with this.  This time, I took it on.  I could do this.

Let me start out saying that I'm a natural light photographer that predominantly shoots newborns, children, maternity and families.  





When I look at my own work, I can see pieces of me.
Pieces that can be interpreted into style.

My style.  

I find that I want my images to show emotion whether it is serenity, happiness or vulnerability.  I want them to show motion as well.  I don't work out of a studio so I don't want my images to look like they came from one.

So back to the image that defines me...

When I'm alone, with camera, I find myself searching for beauty.  It doesn't matter where I am.  If I'm at home, I'm looking how the light falls into the empty bedrooms.  How the colors change from morning to night. If I'm out, I like to watch the sun dancing in the trees and falling on strangers or objects. 

I lean toward the 'hauntingly' beautiful for my personal work.  I don't set out with that in mind, it just ends up that way.

What I find beautiful. 
My son in the bathtub.


Homemade soup lit up by the late afternoon sun.


Striking colors.


Playing until the last drop of sun.


Silly games that are bursting with love.


And finally.  The image that defines me...


It is personal, vulnerable, mysterious and haunting.

It is me.

-Marina                                          



Come visit me and say hello on FaceBook














1 comment:

  1. The best way to describe your work is ZEN. I love it. Every shot you take you can see you have thought about it. I agree with the emotion and photography. Even when I am shooting with my iphone I like to connect on an emotional level. I recently took a picture of my dad with my iphone when he wasn't looking. He had just told a story about my mom and was looking off and deep in thought. I know he was thinking of her and I snuck a shot. I know it is a photo of only him but when I look at it I see both of them.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/leacayoung/12686214143/

    ReplyDelete