Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Point of View




Recently I’ve been thinking about point of view (POV) in photography. The same image can be photographed a multitude of ways and each can produce a drastically different photograph and will change how a viewer sees or feels about the image. 

As photographers we use all kinds of techniques to convey POV, including camera angle, selective focusing, framing, etc. Do we take the picture from above? down below? at eye level? How close do we get and what else do we allow in the frame? 




Some photographers seem to have a recurring POV that emulates across their work. I am still trying to find out what mine is, but I have found that the photos that resonate most with me are those that feel genuine and evoke some emotion. Quiet, reflective, dreamy, spontaneous, moody, "stolen moments"... or maybe that's just what I am feeling tonight! 


Do you tend to lean towards a particular POV? Shy away from or embrace specific camera angels? Cringe when too much of the picture is out of focus?  Etc? 


Thanks for letting me share my photography thoughts of the day!


~ Andrea


3 comments:

  1. When I am taking selfies I like to shoot from above. It is more flattering. When taking shots of others it depends on age and scenery. I do love an ants eye view POV and seem to revisit often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I too often get stuck in the rut of of the same POV, then shift and obsess on another one, ;) I do admit to cringing when too much is out of focus but then remember that focus is highly over rated, lol! Love every out of focus bit on your middle shot though! Thanks Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I embrace the blur....maybe a little too much. I don't know why but I love it.

    ReplyDelete