Monday, April 14, 2014

Selfies

Last year in February when we left the village I took a shot of me looking out the window....saying goodbye.
Last year I started a 52 weeks of me project.  I cannot begin to express the fear I had taking on a project like this.  I decided to give myself an out.  I would not have to publicly post all of them but I did have to take a picture each week. 
After a workout with no make up, close up.
The reason I even decided to do the project was an event in my life that made me take a good look at things.  I loved photography and I took pictures of everything and everyone but I was missing.  I had this great life but I was not showing up in it. I know the reasons and I am sure I am not alone when I say it is so difficult to see myself in pictures.

I start to pick myself apart.  I am my worst critic.  But I really started to think about my family and what they would be left with when I left this world.  Hopefully I live a long life and hopefully I will be documented in pictures.
On a bench with my niece and her dog Daisy.
I started to have fun taking pictures of myself and I even looked forward to the next week.  I still struggled with showing the world but it was getting easier.  I did see the importance of it more and more.
Up close with slight blur.
I am happy to report that I am doing another year 52 weeks of me.  I have gained such confidence and post most of my selfies these days and I will even do more that one a week at times.  I even added another project of my husband and I, 52 weeks of us (that one needs work...I have yet to hit every week). 
iPhone with the Hipstamatic app tag group on Instagram #shakeitout2014
I truly believe it is important for us to take more pictures of ourselves.  If you do not like what you are seeing and do not want to post it, don't post it.  Save it somewhere but do take it.  It might be the time to look at what you do not like and change it or to just accept you for the beautiful person you are.

Tips I have learned about taking selfies.....
1. Shoot from above
2. Lighting, lighting, lighting
3. Softening the photos is such a nice tool....use it.
4. See the beauty in you
5. Have fun....this is fun, really!

So here is my challenge, I want to see your faces.  It is going to be a selfie week.  Hands, feet, faces, shadows, cropped images, cozy pictures of you enjoying your down time, you doing your favorite things, I want to see them all.  We have got this.  Let me see your beauty.

6 comments:

  1. deal!!! Selfie week it is!!
    and...you are a wonderfully and beautifully made Child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize those toes! I only wish I could stand next to them every day! Beautiful inside and out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, you are so right! Thanks for the tips, I will need to be brave this week. Thank you for being brave first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so beautiful. If I looked like you my face would be out there everyday. =]

      Delete